True Greatness (Luke 22:24-27)
1. Greatness Defined
- Greatness, according to Jesus, isn't positioning yourself at the top it's the desire to be positioned at the bottom in order to put others first.
- Truly great leaders don't seek a place of honor. They seek to serve those who follow them.
- True greatness is measured by our service (measured by our ability to share and to give), not by the number of our servants.
2. Greatness Demonstrated
- Jesus washing the disciples feet is the best example of greatness demonstrated. Jesus was the very definition of greatness but "was among them as one who serves".
- He was the greatest yet He took the lowliest position among His disciples.
- Such is the greatest of Jesus that He serves those who follow Him.
- "He who is among us as one who serves."
3. Greatness Delivered
- Before we can demonstrate His service we must receive it first.
- The disciples knew of Jesus' greatness because they had been personal recipients of His service. They hadn't known because they saw it happen to others, they knew because they had received it themselves.
- Until we receive Christ's demonstrated greatness on the cross. We can't truly know what greatness is and can't ever hope to emulate it.
- Learning to think differently about greatness is not enough. We have to take it in ourselves.
4. Greatness Directed
- In no way does Jesus criticize or rebuke the disciples in matters of greatness... He just redirects them.
- True greatness is not a bad thing to pursue. Just make sure your are pursuing it in the right way.
- We must use our time, talents, and resources to serve others.
- 4 areas we can pursue greatness by serving:
24 A dispute also arose among them, as to which of them was to be regarded as the greatest. 25 And he said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those in authority over them are called benefactors. 26 But not so with you. Rather, let the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the leader as one who serves. 27 For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves. (ESV)